Speaking & Discussion Multi-Chapter Event
Keynote speaker, Shiv Chopra with guest speakers Paul Manly and Brenda Sayers, as moderated by Dirk Becker, will explain how the TPP affects you and answer questions afterward.
- When: April 8th at 7pm
- Where: Bowen Park Auditorium, 500 Bowen Rd, Nanaimo, BC
- What: TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership) & ISDS (Investor-State Dispute Settlement)
- Who: Dr. Shiv Chopra, Paul Manly, Brenda Sayers, Dirk Becker
- Why: Canadians need to know how this trade agreement threat will affect them, because it’s not just about the BGH and our milk. It’s about taking control back from corporations in regards to our Sovereignty, Jobs, Health, Food, Environment & Transparency…all in our own back yards.
Dr. Shiv Chopra is a world renowned scientist whose credentials include a Ph.D. in microbiology. He is the recipient of numerous academic awards, including a Fellowship of the World Health Organization. Over the years, Dr. Chopra’s name has become synonymous with global food security. Employed as a senior scientific advisor at the Canadian ministry of health (1969-2004), he refused to approve various harmful drugs for food-producing animals. He endured disciplinary actions, spoke out publicly, testified at Senate committees, and won many federal court cases against the Government of Canada.
Paul Manly of Manly Media is a Nanaimo-based filmmaker, researcher and community organizer who has been studying the effects of investor state dispute settlement (ISDS) provisions in trade agreements for the past ten years. ISDS provisions allow foreign corporations to sue governments in secretive tribunals for laws and policies that limit their profits, including health, safety, labour and environmental regulations and standards.
Brenda Sayers is a Hupacasath First Nation member who led the fight against the Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Act. Brenda earned a national reputation in the two-and-a-half year court battle to force Ottawa to overturn the contentious treaty. It would allow China to sue Canada for any financial losses resulting from any environmental regulations enacted after FIPPA goes into law.
Dirk Becker of Transfarmation is a mid-island farmer, socio-political-environmental activist and local food advocate. He has run for civic and provincial government, is involved in many organizations including as a director of the Farmland Defense League of British Columbia. He is a founder of several organizations including the highly successful Bowen Road Farmers’ Market, Island Roots, and the Lantzville Farmers’ Market.
He and his partner, Nicole Shaw, yearly grow over 16,000 pounds of food on one acre, no-till, by hand, organically. They are also known for their 3.5 year legal battle in Lantzville in their efforts to decriminalize Urban Farming.
They now reside in Errington, on 15 acres where they recently planted over 70 fruit and nut trees and have fun herding their 150 ducks, chickens and geese.
Dirk is committed to life long learning and continues to shift his energy towards teaching young people how to grow food and self-sufficiency.
Eleanor White of Snuneymuxw First Nations
Itinerary – Apr 8th
9:30am – Shiv arrive at Pacific Gardens
10:00am? – Phil Harrison of Surrey-Langley-White Rock chapter arrive at Pacific Gardens
10:30am – Shiv to speak at VIU with Prof William’s Political Science class
Noon? – Either lunch at VIU or rest in room and early supper later
3:30pm? – Early supper at Lighthouse Bistro?
6:00pm – Event at Bowen Park Auditorium
9:00pm – Back to Pacific Gardens
Mar 29th Paul Manly on TPP – CHLY 101.7FM
Notes from CHLY 101.7FM radio’s Suzanne Gregory on Changes and Marjorie Stewart’s interview with Paul Manly about the TPP and Shiv Chopra Tour event. It sounds like more and more people are really waking up to the huge scope of this bad TPP deal.
- Interpreting the TPP: a cunningly-crafted trade agreement designed by lawyers behind closed doors. 50% of the citizens don’t have an opinion on it, because they don’t know what it’s about.
- Paul Manly is participating in this speaking tour as a documentary film-maker.
- The TPP is not a ‘trade’ agreement; it is an agreement to protect corporations…and that’s where the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) comes in. Key terms: indirect expropriation. For example: Tobacco giant suing governments for wanting plain cigarette package wrapping.
- ISDS undermines government decisions by using their own tribunals and arbitrators. For example: the government of India lost to the US in their plans to work toward clean energy solutions.
- Privatization of public systems, such as water and waste water. Municipalities will not be able to favour local companies…and keep the money local.
- These are ‘benign’ corporations that we are addicted to their products every day. Hightower says the TPP is a corporate coup d’etat; a super-sized NAFTA.
- It’s also about paying corporations to NOT do something.
- Part of the TPP is about making the internet a policing service for copyright. Another part is corporate dominance in the area of prescription drugs…and their pressuring doctors to use only certain brands.
- BGH is injected into dairy cows causing extreme hormone disruption and torments them into producing more milk. They’re trying to put Canadians cows out of work…even the US sending milk solids for cheeses that can contain BGH…without labelling.
- Canada would be obligated to follow regulations by other countries, as controlled by corporations.
- The 40% of trade increase will NOT trickle down to the populace…it will take away a great deal from our economy…and our citizens.
- The only way the powers that be can win is to keep the people in the dark.
- Shopify CEO Lutke says the TPP is a BAD DEAL for his company.
- Send your message to decision-makers today: the TPP is not a good deal for Canada. https://letstalktpp.ca
The podcast will be available soon here: http://chly.ca/podcast-listings/changes/